Call for proposals Application
Deadline: January 6, 2020
Dear Prospective Presenter:
The 43rd annual NYSABE Conference, to be held March 19–21, 2020, will highlight current trends, research, and pedagogical practices in the field of bilingual education through its theme, “Fostering Collaborative Instructional Leadership in Bilingual Education: Equity in Action”.
All educators, parents, students, researchers, publishers, elected officials, and representatives of community-based organizations are welcomed to share their expertise and experiences with participants at the 2020 Conference.
This year’s conference theme is a call to reflect upon collaborative instructional leadership and equity in bilingual education. We are confident that participants will benefit from sessions focused on policy, leadership planning and implementation of bilingual education models. Activities will also include panel presentations from experts in the field of bilingual education. Equity is a key component of our theme; therefore, social justice will be interwoven throughout the conference.
The conference sessions will provide resources, strategies, ideas, and inspiring direction for educators, researchers, parents/family members, students, and other stakeholders involved in the education of ELL/ multilingual learners.
We strongly encourage that proposals be connected to the conference theme: the education of ELL/multilingual learners in all educational areas, e.g., bilingual, ENL, special education, general education, and integrated English as a new language.
- Collaborative Leadership
- Equity in Bilingual Education
- Effective Instructional Practices in Bilingual Education models including Dual Language
- Culturally and Linguistically Responsive-Sustaining Education
- Effective Language Acquisition Methodologies
- Differently-Abled ELL/MLL Learners with IEPs
This year, NYSABE is seeking proposals from school leaders to present workshops or participate in panels for a Saturday strand on “Leadership: Best Practices Supporting Bilingual Education.” Topics could include anticipating bilingual program needs; programming for ELL/multilingual learners’ success; supporting bilingual teacher instructional practices; engaging parents of ELL/multilingual learners; creative scheduling to meet the needs of ELL/multilingual learners; programs and connections for aspiring administrators; and much more.
IMPORTANT: INFORMATION FOR YOU PRIOR TO YOUR SUBMISSION:
—Presenters will be responsible for the cost of registration, meals, lodging, and travel.
—Presenters will also be responsible for their own laptops, projectors and speakers. (If you are a Mac user, you must bring a VGA to properly connect to your projector).
—Each of the breakout rooms will have WIFI available, a screen and power cords.
- Workshops are 40 or 90 minutes in length.
- You may present alone or with a partner or team.
- The main presenter will receive communication regarding the presentation and agrees to share with the other team members.
- Handouts are optional.
- NYSABE WILL provide a projection screen and internet access in each breakout room.
- NYSABE WILL NOT provide: laptops, connection cables for Mac computers (VGA and audio), any other A/V equipment including VHS/DVD projectors, overhead projectors, speakers or copying services.
- If you plan to show video clips, they must be loaded onto your laptop and tested ahead of time.
Regarding proposals being submitted by for-profit vendors:
Corporate/for-profit vendors must purchase an exhibitor table, at a minimum, or a sponsorship opportunity in order for their presentation proposal to be considered. Purchasing an exhibitor table or sponsorship opportunity is not a guarantee that your proposal will be accepted. Vendors are encouraged to partner with a school district to help ensure a high-quality presentation that is relevant to the field is being submitted. To submit a proposal, please visit our website: https://www.nysabe.net/2020conference/
Submit the proposal in the link below. proposals will be accepted until midnight of january 6, 2020.
NYSABE has an expectation that all workshops will offer high-quality professional development opportunities for attendees and therefore, all proposal submissions will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Quality of title and abstract
- Clarity of purpose and objectives in description
- Alignment of presentation description and abstract
- Relevance, Research-based and Current Issue or topic
- Clear connection to the conference theme
A conference committee consisting of NYSABE members, leadership, and directors will convene in January to review proposals and determine which proposals will be included in the program. In addition to the inherent quality of the proposals, usefulness to attendees and creation of a balanced program will be considered. Everyone who has submitted a proposal will be notified via email by February 22, 2020. We recognize and appreciate the time and effort required in preparing a submission and thank you in advance for your proposal. We regret that only a limited number of proposals can be accepted. If you have any questions about the proposal process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call for professional award Nominations
Deadline: january 15, 2020
Over the years, the New York State Association for Bilingual Education (NYSABE) has honored individuals for their outstanding dedication, contributions, and commitment to bilingual education. Please accept this Call for Nominations as an invitation to acknowledge your colleagues’ excellent work at our upcoming 2020 annual conference.
By completing your nominations, you are participating in NYSABE’s initiative to increase bilingual education awareness in New York State. The awards to be presented this year include:
● THE BILINGUAL PARENT OF THE YEAR AWARD
● THE BILINGUAL INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT OF THE YEAR AWARD
● THE BILINGUAL SUPPORT PERSONNEL AWARD
● THE DR. XIMENA ZATE BILINGUAL TEACHER OF THE YEAR AWARD
● THE BILINGUAL EDUCATION ADMINISTRATOR AWARD
● THE DR. ANTONIA PANTOJA BILINGUAL ADVOCACY AWARD
● THE GLADYS CORREA MEMORIAL AWARD
Nominations must be submitted electronically with the subject “AWARD NOMINATION” to our conference email address: email@example.com
no later than 10:00 pm on January 15, 2020.
Faxes will not be accepted.
Please review the eligibility criteria and nomination packet requirements for each award by clicking on the link below.