42nd Annual Conference
Call for Proposals
STUDENT ART & ESSAY CONTESTS
Save the date!!
NYSABE 2019 Conference
Transforming Language Learners, Their Multiliteracies, and the World through Bilingual Education
March 21-23, 2019
CROWNE PLAZA WHITE PLAINS
(66 Hale Avenue White Plains, NY 10601)
This year’s theme invites us to examine multiliteracy pedagogy, which takes into account the prominence of cultural, linguistic, and social diversity, and integrates many modes of communication. This promising approach can be transformative in multilingual education settings, where literacy teaching and learning are influenced by technological advances in our diverse global society. Multiliteracies can prepare students and educators alike for continued success in a multilingual and multicultural world.
We invite you to join NYSABE for three exciting days of collaboration and professional development. The conference sessions will provide meaningful resources, strategies, ideas, and inspiring direction for educators, researchers, parents/family members, students, and other stakeholders involved in the education of multilingual learners.
See you at the conference!
NYSABE President 2018-2019
Michael J. Duffy
A CALL FOR ANNUAL CONFERENCE PRESENTERS
“The New York State Association for Bilingual Education (NYSABE) is extending the deadline for submission of proposals to the 2019 Transforming Language Learners, Their Multiliteracies, and the World through Bilingual Education Call. The deadline shall now be Monday, January 14, 2019. The terms and conditions as determined in the Call for Proposals issued November 16, 2018, remain unchanged.”
The 42nd annual NYSABE conference, to be held on March 21–23, 2019, will highlight current trends, research, and best pedagogical practices in the field of bilingual education through its theme, “Transforming Language Learners, their Multiliteracies, and the World through Bilingual Education.” All educators, parents, students, researchers, publishers, elected officials, and representatives of community-based organizations are welcomed to share their expertise and experiences with participants at the 2019 Conference.
This year’s theme, “Transforming Language Learners, their Multiliteracies, and the World through Bilingual Education,” invites us to examine multiliteracy pedagogy, which considers the prominence of cultural, linguistic, and social diversity, and integrates many modes of communication. This promising approach can be transformative in multilingual education settings, where literacy teaching and learning are influenced by technological advances in our diverse global society. Multiliteracies can prepare students and educators alike for continued success in a multilingual and multicultural world.
The conference sessions will provide resources, strategies, ideas, and inspiring direction for educators, researchers, parents/family members, students, and other stakeholders involved in the education of English language learners (ELLs)/multilingual learners.
Some Workshops Ideas:
We strongly encourage that proposals be connected to the conference theme, “Transforming Language Learners, their Multiliteracies, and the World through Bilingual Education,” and the education of ELLs/multilingual learners in all educational areas, e.g., bilingual, ENL, special education, general education, early childhood, and integrated English as a new language.
- Multiliteracies/Biliteracy Trajectory
- Promising Practices
- Adolescent Language Learners
- Asset-Based Teaching
- Differently-Abled ELL/MLL Learners with IEPs
- Using Technology Effectively and Efficiently in Language/Literacy Learning
- Presenters will be responsible for the cost of registration, meals, lodging, and travel.
- Presenters will also be responsible for their own laptops, projectors and speakers. (If you are a Mac user, you must bring a VGA to properly connect to your projector).
- Each of the breakout rooms will have WIFI available, a screen and power cords.
IMPORTANT Information for You Prior to Your Submission:
- Workshops are 40 or 80 minutes in length.
- You may present alone or with a partner or team.
- Presentations in languages other than English are strongly encouraged.
- Presenters must register and pay as attendees for the conference day.
- Handouts are optional.
- NYSABE WILL provide a projection screen and internet access in each breakout room.
- NYSABE WILL NOT provide: laptops, connection cables for Mac computers (VGA and audio), any other A/V equipment including VHS/DVD projectors, overhead projectors, speakers or copying services.
- If you plan to show video clips, they must be loaded onto your laptop and tested ahead of time.
NEW SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Monday, January 14, 2019
A conference committee consisting of NYSABE members, leadership, and directors will convene in January to review proposals and determine which proposals will be included in the program. In addition to the inherent quality of the proposals, usefulness to attendees and creation of a balanced program will be considered. Everyone who has submitted a proposal will be notified via email by February 22, 2019. We recognize and appreciate the time and effort required in preparing a submission and thank you in advance for your proposal. We regret that only a limited number of proposals can be accepted. If you have any questions about the proposal process, please contact email@example.com.
To submit your proposal to the 2019 NYSABE Conference, please click on the link below and complete each question that follows. Proposals will be accepted until midnight of Monday, January 14, 2019.
PROFESSIONAL AWARD NOMINATIONS
Over the years, the New York State Association for Bilingual Education (NYSABE) has honored individuals for their outstanding dedication, contributions, and commitment to bilingual education. Please accept this Call for Nominations as an invitation to acknowledge your colleagues’ excellent work at our upcoming 2019 annual conference.
By completing your nominations, you are participating in NYSABE’s initiative to increase bilingual education awareness in New York State. The awards to be presented this year include:
- THE BILINGUAL PARENT OF THE YEAR AWARD
- THE BILINGUAL INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT OF THE YEAR AWARD
- THE BILINGUAL EDUCATION SUPPORT PERSONNEL AWARD
- THE DR. XIMENA ZATE BILINGUAL TEACHER OF THE YEAR AWARD
- THE BILINGUAL ADMINISTRATOR OF THE YEAR AWARD
- THE DR. ANTONIA PANTOJA BILINGUAL ADVOCACY AWARD
- THE GLADYS CORREA MEMORIAL AWARD
Submission Deadline: Friday, December 14, 2018
Nominations must be submitted electronically with the subject “AWARD NOMINATION” to our
conference email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
NYSABE is proud to announce the 2019 student art and essay contests.
Entries will be accepted through Monday, January 21, 2019 for the:
NYSABE Student Statewide Essay Contest
(Entries accepted through Monday. January 21, 2019)
Please share this information with your colleagues and submit your students’ work for consideration!