Registration is Open
41ST Annual Conference
Call for Proposals
Call for Nominations
Student Art & Essay Contests
Save the date!!
NYSABE 41st Annual Conference:
Uncovering the Talents of Multilingual Learners from Early Childhood through High School and Beyond
March 15-17, 2018
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
(598 Broad Hollow Road Melville, New York)
We invite you to join NYSABE for three exciting days of collaboration and professional development. The conference sessions will focus on providing meaningful resources and inspiring direction for educators, researchers, parents, students and other stakeholders. A broad range of innovative topics, ideas and strategies for learners, families and educators will be presented.
NYSABE’s 2018 Conference Registration is NOW Open!!!!
PLEASE NOTE: “2018 Conference at 2017 Prices!”
A CALL FOR ANNUAL CONFERENCE PRESENTERS
SUBMISSION DEADLINE—January 19, 2018
The 41st Annual NYSABE Conference, to be held on March 15-17, 2018 at the Hilton Long Island Hotel in Melville, NY, will seek to highlight current trends, research, and pedagogical practices in the field of bilingual education through its theme:
Uncovering the Talents of Multilingual Learners from
Early Childhood through High School & Beyond
All educators, parents/families, students, researchers, publishers, elected officials, and community-based organizations are welcomed to share their expertise and experiences with our conference guests our 2018 Conference.
Our conference will focus on exploring the innovative and supportive ways that educational stakeholders collaborate to support bilingual/multilingual education. The wealth of experience, wisdom, current knowledge, and creative ideas from across the state will be evidenced as we bring together researchers, practitioners, and supporters within a spirit of sharing and mutual learning.
—Presenters will be responsible for the cost of registration, meals, lodging, and travel.
—Presenters will also be responsible for their own laptops, projectors and speakers. (If you are a Mac user, you must bring a VGA to properly connect to your projector).
—Each of the breakout rooms will have WIFI available, a screen and power cords.
Some Workshops Ideas:
We strongly encourage proposals connected to the conference theme related to the education of English language learners/Bilingual learners in all educational areas, e.g., bilingual, ESOL, special education, general education, and integrated English as a new language.
- Collaboration between…
- teachers in classrooms
- teachers, schools, districts, and families
- teachers, schools, districts, and community partners, including higher education
- teachers, schools, districts, and policymakers
- Promising/Innovative Practices:
- Early Childhood
- Biliteracy (New York State Seal, CUNY-NYSIEB, dual language, starting a new bilingual program)
- Students with Interrupted Schooling (SIFE)
- Long-Term ELLs/Multilingual Learners
- ELL/Bilingual Learners with Disabilities
- Gifted and Talented ELLs/Multilingual Learners
IMPORTANT: Information for You Prior to Your Submission:
- Workshops are 50 minutes in length.
- You may present alone or with a partner or team.
- Presenters must register and pay as attendees for the conference day.
- Handouts are optional.
- NYSABE WILL provide a projection screen and internet access in each breakout room.
- NYSABE WILL NOT provide: laptops, connection cables for Mac computers (VGA and audio), any other A/V equipment including VHS/DVD projectors, overhead projectors, speakers or copying services.
- If you plan to show video clips, they must be loaded onto your laptop and tested ahead of time.
All proposals must be submitted by January 19, 2018.
A conference committee consisting of NYSABE members, leadership, and directors will convene in January to review proposals and determine which proposals will be included in the program. In addition to the inherent quality of the proposals, usefulness to attendees and creation of a balanced program will be considerations. Everyone who has submitted a proposal will be notified via email by January 26. We recognize and appreciate the time and effort required in preparing a submission and thank you in advance for your proposal. We regret that only a limited number of proposals can be accepted. If you have any questions about the proposal process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To submit your proposal to the 2018 NYSABE Conference, please click on the link below and complete each question that follows. Proposals will be accepted until midnight of January 19, 2018.
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: NYSABE AWARDS
Over the years, the New York State Association for Bilingual Education (NYSABE) has honored individuals for their outstanding dedication, contributions, and commitment to bilingual education. Please accept this Call for Nominations as an invitation to acknowledge your colleagues’ excellent work at our upcoming 2018 annual conference.
By completing your nominations, you are participating in NYSABE’s initiative to increase bilingual education awareness in New York State. The awards to be presented this year include:
- THE GLADYS CORREA MEMORIAL AWARD
- THE DR. ANTONIA PANTOJA BILINGUAL ADVOCACY AWARD
- THE BILINGUAL PARENT OF THE YEAR AWARD
- THE DR. XIMENA ZATE BILINGUAL TEACHER OF THE YEAR AWARD
- THE BILINGUAL ADMINISTRATOR OF THE YEAR AWARD
- THE BILINGUAL EDUCATION SUPPORT PERSONNEL AWARD
- THE BILINGUAL INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT OF THE YEAR AWARD
Please review the eligibility criteria and nomination packet requirements for each award by clicking on the link above.
Submission Deadline: Friday, January 19, 2018
NYSABE is proud to announce the 2018 student art and essay contests. Entries will be accepted through January 19, 2018 for the:
NYSABE Student Statewide Essay Contest
(Entries accepted through January 19, 2018)
Please share this information with your colleagues and submit your students’ work for consideration!